‘King Evil’ is dead

Omar Lewis, o/c 'King Evil'
  • Renowned gangster gunned down

By Noelita Lawrence
Staff Reporter


Notorious gangster, Omar Lewis, otherwise known as “King Evil”, was cut down in a hail of bullets on Wednesday night, as the bloody rampage sweeping the parish of St. James continues unabated.

Lewis was one of six persons shot, four fatally, between Tuesday and Wednesday night.

The deceased are 41-year-old Lewis, of a Canterbury address; 23-year-old Chad McKenzie, fisherman of Rose Heights; 41 year-old Paul Green, security guard of Pond Top, Catadupa; 31-year-old Montgomery Lewis, a taxi operator of Felicity Road, Glendevon, all in St. James.

Two men were also shot along Hart Street and in Cambridge.

In the most recent killing which took place about 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Lewis was ambushed and killed in Catherine Hall.

Police reports indicated that Lewis had just entered his white Toyota Axio motor car, which was parked on the roadway near to a house in the community, when another car drove up and three men armed with guns alighted and opened fire.

Unconfirmed reports to the Western Mirror are that Lewis was shot at least nine times as he sat in his car. He was found in the driver’s seat of the vehicle.

Police also report that numerous spent shells from high-powered rifles and pistols were found on the scene, while a Taurus pistol and 13 rounds of ammunition were found in Lewis’ car where he was killed.

The ill-fated car in which Omar ‘King Evil’ Lewis was shot and killed

Shortly after the killing, gunshots erupted in sections of the city, in the vicinity of Hart Street and Barnett Street, and also his home community of Canterbury.

Occupants of a car were also allegedly robbed by four armed men.

Lewis was recently deported to Jamaica after serving a prison sentence in Florida for gun possession.

He had fled the island for the United States in 2008 after being linked to a murder here. Lewis was subsequently apprehended bylaw enforcement agents in 2009 in the US for gun possession.

Meanwhile, three other men were killed in the parish on Tuesday night as, the murder statistics continue to rise.

McKenzie of Rose Heights and Green of Catadupa were killed just over 2 hours apart as detectives were kept busy in the parish.

McKenzie was shot and killed at approximately 11:20 p.m.by unknown assailants.

The police report that McKenzie was watching television with a group of men at the popular Fisherman’s Beach on Howard Cooke Boulevard, when he was pounced upon by a lone gunman.

He was struck in the upper body and was later pronounced dead at hospital.

Meanwhile, Green, the security guard, was gunned down by unknown assailants, as he walked home from work.

Reports are that about 9:30 p.m., residents heard a barrage of explosions and called the police.  When they arrived, Green’s body was seen along the train line with bullet wounds to the head.


In the case of the taxi operator, Lewis, it is reported that about 2:10 a.m., he was gunned down at the intersection of William and St.  James Streets by unknown assailants as he alighted from the vehicle.

The killing of Omar Lewis has pushed the number of murders in St. James to 256 since the start of the year.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here