Force fights back

The crowded crime scene at Baywest on Wednesday

Carol Esson – News Editor

Two alleged gunmen were fatally shot by the police in separate incidents in St. James on Wednesday, as the police step up their fight against criminalities, in particular murders, which have had residents in several sections of the parish cowering in fear.

The men killed have been identified as Jamari Harrison, otherwise called ‘Rizzla’, of Flanker, who the police say was a top tier leader of the Rebel Man Gang operating out of the community; and 22-year-old Ricky Murdock, aka ‘Rick’, who it is said is originally from John’s Hall, but took up residence in The People’s Arcade.

In the case of Harrison, the police report that they initiated an operation about 5:30 a.m. in Flanker aimed at dismantling the Rebel Man Gang, which they believe to be responsible for several murders in the area. During the operation, Harrison allegedly engaged members of the team in a shootout and was shot and injured.

He was taken to the Cornwall Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A Sigsauer 9mm pistol with a magazine and four live rounds were seized.


Several hours later (shortly after 5 p.m.), Murdock, who the St. James police described as a ‘Person of Interest’, was shot and killed during an alleged confrontation with the police on Harbour Street in busy downtown Montego Bay.

A 9mm pistol and a magazine containing three 9mm rounds of ammunition were seized.

The official report from the communication arm of the Force, CCU, indicates that about 5:15 p.m., a police team approached Murdock, who was charged for robbery and was a suspect in several others in the division, and he pulled a firearm and fired shots at the officers and ran.

The CCU reported that other members of the team saw what was happening, but were also fired on when they attempted to accost him. They responded and he was shot and the firearm taken from him.

However, alleged eyewitness reports reaching the Western Mirror are that Murdock, who was seen with a gun on Market Street, was chased by the police through Sam Sharpe Square onto Harbour Street in the vicinity of the busy Baywest Shopping Centre, before he attempted to surrender, but was cut down by plain clothes police in the area.

Both incidents have been reported to the Inspectorate of the Constabulary IOC and the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM).


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here